Sunday, June 27, 2010

Changing desires (goals)

As I've gotten older, what I desire and what I consider to be measures of my own success has changed dramatically.  When I was young, I measured my success by my performance in school and sports.  My goal was to be the best I could be...in both arenas...but that desire was fueled by the wrong reasons.  I wanted to do well so that I would make my parents happy - not because it would necessarily make me happy.

After college (and later, law school), I was fueled by the desire to have a "good job."  But I quickly found that a good job doesn't make one complete (or at least it didn't make me feel complete).  I suppose for some, success is measured by one's ability to have the material luxuries they desire.  I've never found much happiness in material things.  Sure, we all know that money is a necessity, but I've never found a great amount of joy in tangible things.  Memories of great times spent with family and friends are the things that bring me joy.

My desire now is very simple: I am seeking happiness.  But happiness isn't something you can buy, or even something you can chase after (as Thoreau so elegantly stated in this quote):


Happiness is something that you "achieve" through simply living life.  And so that's what I've been attempting to do lately.  For too long my life consisted of waking up, going to work, going home, going to sleep, and waking up to do it all over again.  There wasn't any variety and there certainly wasn't any opportunity to meet new people or try new things.  My routine has changed though.  Tuesdays are now reserved for a night out with one of my new friends and Thursdays are set aside for the kickball league I joined with my brother and a few friends.

I'm not chasing happiness, but I am finding that I'm much happier with some new activities in my life.  And if I can be happy then that's a success I can be proud of.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Something to remember: Happiness is a state of mind. Not a thing.

    So often society unabashedly equates happiness to a physical, tangible object (often expensive or exclusive). Be it a handsome, upstanding man, or clear complexion or even the taste of coffee in the morning.

    Way back in High School (oh god, it's almost been ten years now...) I took a class on propaganda and the media marketing machine. I think this should be a required course at any level of education.

    When you start to look at the world objectively, and think for yourself, you'll find that happiness is a whole hell of a lot closer than any of us are aware. It's often hard to see that though, the machine grinds endlessly and drags us back in. We are creatures of habit and we usually can't help ourselves.

    That being said. I'm pretty sure you've met and exceeded the things in life that help foster happiness. It's not that the things you thought brought happiness were *wrong*. They just weren't the complete picture. Making yourself happy begets happiness in others. It's infectious. Like yawning.

    Anyway, enjoy your Jell-o and Kickball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always insightful...thanks! I'm slowly finding the happy in life. :)

    For the record, kickball & jell-o were awesome last night (even in the rain) but I'm hurting a bit this morning!

    ReplyDelete