Sunday, February 7, 2010

Entertain me, please!

So Jacksonville is typically not a mecca for great entertainment opportunities, but this weekend was a welcome change of pace.  On Friday evening, I had a chance to see Dane Cook live at the Veteran's Memorial Arena.  I've enjoyed his comedy for years, but this is the first time I was able to see him perform in person.  While I'd heard a number of his bits before, I still thought it was a good time and I'm glad I had the chance to go.  Plus, I randomly ran into a guy I haven't seen in years there so chance encounters like that in a massive crowd are always fun.

Last night, I was back at the Arena (2 nights there in a row = rather unprecedented) to see John Mayer (and the tail end of the opening act, Michael Franti).  What a blast!  I'd heard mixed reviews on his live shows, but I really enjoyed it.  And while I hadn't heard a lot of his latest album, the show he put on was enough for me to "complete my album" on iTunes today...so I suppose he achieved his goal for at least one person in the audience.

One thing that I did find frustrating though happened after the Dane Cook show when I was exiting the venue with my brother and sister-in-law.  It was understandably crowded and we were like cattle being herded through the doors to our outdoor freedom.  Unfortunately, a number of smokers decided that it was a good idea to light up in the middle of said massive crowd before getting out of the main throng of people.  I don't know, I just find that incredibly rude.  The last thing I, as a non-smoker, want is to have some inconsiderate @sshole lighting up and blowing his smoke in my face because he couldn't wait a moment or two longer to get away from the crowd.  I wish I could say this was an isolated incident (Ha! Play on words since that's the title of Dane Cook's tour), but unfortunately I was unwillingly accosted by the smoke of not less than 3 different people while we tried to get past the crowd.

Other than that though, it was a great weekend - rounded out by some father-daughter bonding over an early dinner this afternoon.  I haven't had a chance to hang out with just my dad in a while and it was a lot of fun.  I find that I've remained quite the "daddy's girl!"  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment