Thursday, May 17, 2012

Oh, that's right . . . I still DO have a blog!

Admittedly I've been absent.  Very absent.  Fortunately (or unfortunately), I don't have very many readers so I'm fairly certain I haven't been missed.  As a side note, I still don't get how some people have so many readers/followers when the content they put out is a snore-fest.  Perhaps my content is an even snorier snore-fest?  At any rate, I'm back and I shall try to be better about posting.  No promises though; I hate to break them and who knows how long my commitment to blogging will last this go-round?

Lately I've been struggling a bit with satisfaction at work.  I've been feeling as though my efforts aren't always recognized and/or appreciated.  But even worse than that, I feel as though not everyone else around me is putting in the effort their jobs require.  It's not that I'm trying to be into everyone else's business; rather, many of the people that have frustrated me lately are actually people that I oversee and whose slack I have to pick up along the way.


For as long as I can remember, I have always felt driven towards success--even if that meant a lot of hard work along the way.  I struggle to understand why that isn't the same for everyone else around me.  When I'm faced with a task or challenge, I am going to give everything I have to make sure that it's not only accomplished, but also that the result is the best one possible.  More and more I'm finding that I'm in the minority in taking that approach.  Why is that?  I don't think it's a generational thing (because there are plenty of people both older and younger than me that seem to be less motivated to achieve excellence/success).  Perhaps it's a nurture thing?  I was raised with very high expectations placed upon me.  As I've grown up and joined the workforce, those expectations that others used to place on me are now the same expectations I place upon myself.

I'm also the person that tends to feel,

"If you want something done right, do it yourself."

That isn't the best mentality when you're in a managerial role because at the end of the day there are not enough hours in the day to do everything yourself.  And if you try to do it all, you're probably going to go insane . . . or at least stress yourself out much more than is necessary.  That's about where I am right now.  I'm more stressed than I have been in a long time and I need to do something to dial that back.  In an effort to get to a better place mentally, I've decided to take a couple days off and it'll be a 4-day weekend for me.  To just have some time to relax and not think about work is sure to be helpful.

I'm still curious to know whether anyone has other theories on the lack of motivation that seems to be so prevalent in today's workplace.  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment