Sunday, March 6, 2011

Weekends are meant for fun!

My relationship with Jacksonville is a love-hate one.  I love that my family is here so I can see them whenever I want.  I hate that very few of my friends live here.  I love my job, my house, and my dog.  I hate that I don't have as much of a social life as I'd grown accustomed to in Orlando (which sort of goes along with my first "hate").  And so on and so forth.  Still, at the end of the day I'm pretty happy here so I can't complain too much.  Plus, friends are just a short(ish) drive away!  For the last couple weekends, instead of having to drive anywhere to see friends, I've been lucky to have them come to me.

Last weekend, my best friend from law school came up for the entire weekend (and he's the one I blame for my "first good burn of the season" when we lounged by the pool a bit too long).  Within 10 seconds of his arrival, it was just like old times.  If you can find a friend with whom it's always easy and comfortable to talk or hang out, no matter how long it's been that you're apart, then you should hang on to that friend because they're a rare find.  C is one of those friends for me.  We've known each other for about 7 1/2 years now but we've lived in different cities for the last 3 1/2 of them since I moved back up to Jax.

Our mutual friend, A, also came down for a night.  While I was hanging out with them, I started to think about how easy it really was to pass the time.  Even though we're in different cities, have different friends, do different things, etc. it was never the least bit difficult to have a great conversation.  In comparison, on the few dates I've been on recently, I've been struck by how difficult it can be to carry on a conversation with some people.  I understand that it's different when you're first meeting someone, but then I think about the people that are fixtures in my life and realize that it was never that difficult to talk to them - even when we first met.  It's just food for thought...

Anyway, before C & A left town, we grabbed brunch at Sun Dog...after which I was coerced into participating in a silly photo...which I now love.  I mean, how can you not love a friend that convinces you to ride one of the local jaguars with him?  Guess that's why I love A.  Here's evidence of our morning shenanigans:


So that was last weekend.  This weekend that's wrapping up was just as fun.  On Friday, I got together with a bunch of local peeps for a moving away party for one girl.  It was a nice excuse to get everyone together for a few drinks and good times.  You'd think that with all the essays I need to review for work that I'd tone down the rest of the weekend.  Instead, last night was one of the best nights I've had in a long time.

I have another friend, B, from law school that lives just down in St. Augustine.  Unfortunately, despite the fact that we're not really that far from each other, neither of us has done a great job of staying in touch and seeing one another on a regular basis.  Well last night, we finally followed through on a plan to see each other.  At this point it had been about 23 months since the last time we randomly ran into each other down in St. Auggie.  B came up to Jax this time and we headed down to the beach for dinner and a few drinks.  I'm not kidding when I say I haven't laughed that much in a really long time.  Once again, even though we hadn't seen each other in forever, we picked up right where we left off.  Here we are at Caribbee Key:


About 3 minutes into the night, I think we both agreed that it was going to be an awesome night...and then cursed ourselves for letting so much time pass since seeing each other last.  But hey, we pinkie swore that we WILL get together more often and everyone knows that pinkie swears cannot be broken.  Besides, if someone that cute lives that close and wants to hang out, why would I say no?

Anyway, enough rambling...these past two weekends are how weekends should be.  Fun!  Winning! (couldn't resist that)  Here's to hoping that your weekends are just as great.  What have you been up to???

No comments:

Post a Comment