Friday, April 9, 2010

Giving back...

I'm not necessarily proud to admit this, but I'm also sure I'm not the only one that could make the following true statement: I live a very self-centered life most of the time.

I've been doing a lot of self-reflection lately and have realized that despite the many things that I would like to change about my life, or the things that I wish would happen...for the most part, I am a very fortunate, blessed person.  I'm healthy, have a good job, a roof over my head, live close to ALL of my immediate family, and have some phenomenal friends all over this lovely country of ours.  Yet I have the tendency to continue to want more.  To focus on the things I wish I could change or the things that I wish I could have instead of appreciating all that I've been given...all that I already have. 

In an effort to focus outside of my own little box for a change, tomorrow morning I'm going to be volunteering with HandsOn Jacksonville for their monthly beach clean-up in Jax beach.  While I'm not entirely excited about getting up so early on a Saturday morning, I am looking forward to doing something that will benefit others for a change.  I used to volunteer quite a bit through undergrad, but since then I've slipped away from that.  Tomorrow is the day that I give back...again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment