Saturday, April 17, 2010

Yes, I'm doing nothing on a Saturday night

There's absolutely nothing wrong with quiet Saturday nights at home.  In fact, I quite like them from time to time.  Give me a couple good movies, some popcorn, and I'm all set.  Add some good company and that's even better.  Unfortunately, this Saturday evening isn't all that lovely.  The original plan was to head to St. Augustine to catch up with an old friend from Tally.  We haven't seen each other since my birthday weekend last year (a bit ridiculous really since we live less than an hour away from each other), and I was excited to see him and have a change of scenery for a night (let's face it...Jax can get pretty old pretty quick) but the tickle in my throat from last night evolved into a near-nonstop-cough-fest today.  Thus: no St. Augustine; no Brad; no drinks; nothing.  But my DVR is now entirely caught up with all TV shows (movies are an entirely different story since I still have a ton saved...oh, and WTF is going on on 'Lost'?!?).  Anyway, the emptier DVR marks at least one accomplishment for the day.

Originally, I had big plans of getting lots done today; that didn't happen (aside from the above DVR cleansing).  I took an afternoon nap and only ventured out of my house to pick up some grub from Chick-Fil-A (for the record, that's my favorite fast food place so I'd prefer to remain in ignorant bliss if you know of some terrible franchise health code violations or other such nonsense).  During said excursion, I took note of the multiple bounce houses set up outside my local Chick-Fil-A.  Let me just tell you, those kids were having an absolute blast!  I wanted to jump in there myself and bounce to my heart's content.  Alas, I did no such thing, but it got me to thinking about how much fun life is for kids.  Why do the majority of people let that fun slip away as they grow up?  Sure, there are times to be serious...but when it's not that time, why can't we all just have fun?!?

Give me random conversations about silly nothingness.  Give me laughter so intense that it makes it impossible to breathe.  Give me friendships that you just know will last forever.   Everything was so easy when we were younger.  Why does growing up have to be synonymous with stopping all the fun?  I don't think that it has to be that way.  Henceforth, I shall do my best to hold fast to the fun whenever possible.  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment