Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bending Reality

I'm not going to use this post to advocate for a strict adherence to reality (how could I possibly do that when I spend a decent amount of time zipping through daydreams?); however, there ARE times when I find myself both baffled and frustrated by the "reality" that people choose to believe.  No matter how much you may want to think that you have some super-special dedication to a task at hand (or if, for some unknown reason, you think the laws of nature should bend to your every whim), you cannot give more than 100% of yourself.  The statement, "he/she gave 110%!" is one that annoys me more than many others.  Why?  Because it is NOT physically possible.

You cannot have more than the whole.  Once you reach 100%, that's it.  There is no more than that.  That is the nature of being "whole."  That is complete.  You cannot ask for more.  When you shift into the made-up territory of 110% you have gone beyond the bounds of reality that I am prepared, or willing, to accept/follow.  If you have 110% of something, do you have all of one thing and part of another?  Hypothetically, that could give you 110% of some possible total amount.  Do you have part, but not all, of two (or more) items?  Again, hypothetically that could give you 110% of some possible total amount.  But if you are talking about one item then you must stop at 100%.  Anything else is just plain silly.  (Not to mention...highly annoying)

All of this frustration was brought on by a question in the end-of-conference survey I completed earlier this evening asking me about how enthusiastic I would be about implementing the new ideas learned at the technology conference I attended.  One of the answer choices was 110%.  That simply doesn't make sense.  No one can give their all...then a little more.  (If you have a little more to give then you weren't giving your all to begin with, now were you?)  It's good to know I was attending a fantasy land conference for the last day and a half, because that's the only explanation I can see for an answer choice of 110% enthusiasm.

Ahh, if only I could say this was the only thing that annoys/frustrates me.  Alas, it's just the tip of the iceberg! :)  I'm curious though - what annoys you?

4 comments:

  1. The only way that works is if you are doing a comparison. I.E. You are moving 200% of your previous speed.

    Annoying things: Sales-people. People who intentionally bend or distort the truth to get you to sign/buy/etc. They are usually *very* happy with everything. They are always bright and cheery and just ooze dishonesty.

    Pragmatism. You want to sell me something? Tell me every bad thing about it. Sell me on how the bad things really aren't so bad.

    The good things may be a good way to get in the door, but I want to know when things go wrong, I'm not totally screwed.

    And hey: "@zarkinfrood Agreed! Plus, so many tumblr users come across as such elitists. What a "turn-off." (seen right next to this comment box).

    Well. I never! *Harumph*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah! Murphy's Law: post something mildly negative about tumblr and then one is sure to post something right next to said statement and call you out on it!

    What you DIDN'T read, of course, is that I would have included "except Nathan's tumblr" in my post but that damn twitter 140-character limit ruined me. (Is anyone looking? Did he buy that?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're lucky I can't get my laptop out and post a diatribe! Curse this tiny screen and keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noted that your latest tumblr post was entertaining and informative. Clearly not the normal tumblr-user posting. ;)

    ReplyDelete