Sunday, February 6, 2011

Showing My Age

Even when I was much younger, I typically wasn't one for all-nighters or even staying up super late multiple days in a row.  As I've gotten older, that has become even more true.  More often than not I'm in bed by about 10pm.  (I know...hang on to your party pants, people!)  Even on the weekends, unless I'm out somewhere, I'm usually in bed by 11 and awake by 8am.  I'm not sure if that makes me incredibly lame or if it just means I'm a responsible adult.  This weekend though, both Friday night and last night, I didn't get to bed until after 2am...the result???


I'm clearly not cut out for staying up so late and adding alcohol to the mix to boot!  Yesterday, after a late night on Friday, I knew I needed to do something to rest up for the night since a going away party for an acquaintance didn't even start until 11pm.  My solution was to take TWO naps during the day yesterday.  (I'm talking serious, 2 hour naps...none of that catnap crap.)  If you have to sleep an extra 4+ hours DURING the day just to prepare yourself for an evening out, you're getting old.  Clearly I'm getting old!

In addition, aside from my intolerance for late nights, I also discovered last night that I'm also now that person at the bar wishing it wasn't so darn loud (and perhaps even complaining about the noise level).  I've always loved music, and it's one thing to "feel" the rhythm of music in your soul...it's an entirely different thing to feel the beat of the music pulsing (literally) through your blood because your whole body is vibrating.  That's how I felt last night.  The dance floor vibrated to the beat, the sink in the bathroom shook with the noise, and my head felt like scrambled eggs sooner rather than later.  When did that happen to me???  A little ringing ear syndrome at the end of the night was never a big deal in the past.  Last night, however, for a good hour at the end of the night I found myself wishing/praying they could just turn the volume down a little bit.  I've never been particularly good at reading people's lips and shouting in my ear at the top of your lungs so I can hear is necessary, but also painful.  Ultimately, while I had fun with my friends it also gave me a headache.

Growing old isn't very fun and I feel like I need a nap already...  *yawn*

No comments:

Post a Comment