Sunday, January 30, 2011

Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match...

A year or so ago - on a weekly basis - there was just one little teeny-bopper I saw rocking out to his iPod in front of a sign for a restaurant near the marina on the intracoastal.  I'll admit that seeing him rock out every week made me smile, but it never once made me go to his restaurant.  These days it seems like there are dancing sign-holders at nearly every major intersection.  Why this sudden boom?!?  Do other people actually get lured in by the dancing/lip-syncing skills of these pubescent teenagers???

On my way to dinner yesterday, there was a teenage girl dancing her little heart out and spinning her "We Buy Gold!" sign like it was going out of style.  While waiting at the light, I discovered she had about a dozen signature moves...none of which prompted me to run home and get some old gold jewelry to take to her store.  On my way home from dinner, exactly one signal light away from the gold girl, I saw a guy spinning his Little Cesar's sign and dancing his cares away.  Even if I didn't have a full belly of citrus chicken, I would not have been compelled to stop for cardboard pizza.

What I did find myself wondering was whether any of these sign kids ever get together to swap strategies, dance moves, etc.  OR!  What if gold girl and pizza boy decided to start a relationship???  They could melt down all her old gold jewelery and eat like pizza kings...for about a week. 

What do these people do/say when someone asks them what they do for a living?  Do they respond, "Oh, I spin signs and dance at intersections."?!?  If I were talking to someone and considering whether to date them, I'm pretty sure I'd be gone about 2 seconds after I heard a response like that.  Which leads me to believe that the only person that could date a sign-spinner is another sign-spinner.

Someone get these kids a matchmaker!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment